Thursday, December 15, 2011

What amount in USD should I charge for labor on adding on to an existing deck?

This deck is 24' x 30' It was built around a "top of ground pool". So really I am squaring it off where the pool was and completeing the railing. I am charing her labor and cost of building materials. But I am stumped on labor cost, I want to give her a good deal but not screw myself over too.|||It depends - are you in an area which used primarily union carpenters or not? Are you paying for materials on a cost plus basis? Keep in mind that you need to pick up materials and may have to return bad boards or make extra parts runs. Who's paying for the permit and inspections (or will a permit be pulled)?


Bottom line is that you have to scope out your competition for the work to be done, and see if you can make money at it. Some contractors are willing to work at par (no profit) just to keep their employees paid. There is no concrete answer for all regions and all economic conditions. Bummer, eh?|||Why not call around to some others that do this work and get an estimate of their labor costs per hour if they will give them to you and go from that. That is what I have done in landscaping work and I then charge a little less.|||If it is a friend, I would suggest $10-20 an hour, depending on how far she is coming from. If it is really hot or cold and rainy more is better. :)|||Common is $25.00 per hour

No comments:

Post a Comment